Last night at sunset the wind started to decrease. First I had to bring down the main, it couldn’t hold the wind and was flogging about as if to self-destruct. Shortly after the staysail came down. I carried on until one in the morning with the jib, but the wind disappeared and the jib finally got furled. What a disappointment, I was expecting the forecast fifteen knot north westerlies to hold. So, we were becalmed. The last thing I expected on the Washington Pacific coast.
After one I drifted and tried to get some rest. The residual sea and swell caused Truce to gyrate abominably. The sort of wild movements people pay good money to experience at theme parks. At four I could stand it no more and started the engine to see if the movement would be less under way – it was a bit better and we were at least moving and I got to see another sunrise.
I hand steered until eight as the seas were too bad for the autopilot, then stopped for some breakfast and to get the latest USA weather reports. The forecasters are now calling for light winds in this area for the next two days. Unbelievable. I checked my routing charts and there is a 3% chance of calm weather in the month of May! I just happened to hit it.
Looking at the large swells rolling in from the west is a bit surreal, they are moving hillsides of water, perfectly smooth a and glossy, like liquid glass. Looking at it from sea level is a beautiful sight and quite unusual.
So I have been motoring all day, rolling along. Much as I hate motoring at sea there is no option. The barometer has been stuck at 1024.5 for the last 30 hours. This must be an unusual weather event for this area.
Any thoughts I had about being in San Francisco on Sunday are just dreams now. On the positive side the day has been beautiful and sunny and I am starting to feel a bit warmer, time to break out a beer. Voyage distance 252.1 miles.