Wednesday night and I have 3 new injectors in hand ready to be fitted.  I was going to fit them in the morning but the excitement got the better of me and I set about fitting them at night, helped by a headtorch.  Carefully and methodically I inserted the fibre washers, copper washers and then the injectors, not forgetting the O rings.  Happy that I hadn’t missed anything out I tightened them down and connected the fuel pipes and the fuel return line.

After inspecting my handiwork for a while, double then triple checking that everything was complete I set about bleeding the fuel lines of air ready to start.  The moment of truth, I pressed the starter button, after a bit of spluttering Mr Yanmar sprang into life.  Relief, I checked for leaks and switched the engine off.  I will run it again for longer and under load in the morning.

To celebrate I broke out the rum and coke and a packet of crisps.

Thursday morning, I started the engine.  Oh No!  It didn’t want to start; clouds of smoke came out the exhaust.  Once running the engine ran smoothly for a while then picked up speed, slowed down and then ran smoothly again.  Oh, what is going on.  My celebrations had been premature. In despair I went to see the fuel injector man.  He listened patiently to me and suggested I take the boat out into the harbour and give the engine a good run, getting the engine up to operating temperature.  Then let the engine go cold and start again.

I returned to Truce, a little disheartened but keen to get on.  I double checked the primary filter, the diesel in the bowl was clean and clear.  But, just to make sure I changed the filter once again, a messy job in a tight space that always gets me covered in diesel.  Once the filter was changed I bled the engine and started it up.  I let go from the dock and went for a trip around the harbour for an hour.  The engine ran well, smoother than before.

I returned to the dock, switched off the engine and let it cool down.  I left it overnight and will start again the morning.  In the afternoon I did more painting on the rubbing strake.  No rum and coke tonight, but I found a bottle of red wine instead.  I didn’t drink it all.

Friday morning, I started the engine.  It fired first time and ran smoothly.  Yes!  Finally, all is well with Mr. Yanmar, just like the good old days.  He is happy with his new injectors and all is well again on board.  Just to make sure I went for a quick motor around the harbour, all good.

Later in the morning I finished painting the rubbing strake where it had been scraped against docks and piles during this year’s cruise.  No fancy marinas down south, we must rough it with the fishing boats.  A coat of primer, a coat of 50:50 mix undercoat and topcoat and a final topcoat has been applied.  Truce is looking smart again on the starboard side.

The calm morning weather turned into drizzle in the afternoon.  Luckily, the painting has all been completed.  I expect we will get more rain in the coming days as the wind comes out of the north.  I may have a rum and coke tonight.

One thought on “ENGINE FIXED

Add yours

  1. Replacing injectors is very much like having a new engine.

    A long post about replacing injectors on Caro Babbo with pictures that demonstrates the advice that just because you fixed one problem doesn’t mean there isn’t a second and third… http://carobabbo.com/2017/03/19/replacing-fuel-injectors/

    In this case, the kill cable was jammed so the engine was not getting full fuel: http://carobabbo.com/2017/04/09/our-kill-may-not-be-killing-but-merely-strangling/


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: