I had a lie in until seven thirty this morning, the rain was dropping onto the cabin top so I decided to roll over for another hour. After I dragged myself out of my bunk I applied the final epoxy patch to the fresh water tank. It’s not easy when you can’t see what you are doing and applying fibreglass and epoxy upside down and by feel is challenging. To see the results, I stick my phone in the tank and take a photo. It’s not pretty but I reckon it will hold.
Then I spent a couple of hours fixing the stern light that had some corroded wiring, one of those simple little jobs that take forever and use every tool in the box. Then it was onto the wiring of the charging station at the chart table. From Aliexpress I got a 12 volt USB charging rig, only cost a few dollars but could be a great buy. Charging laptops, phones, cameras etc from 12 volt uses much less power that using the inverter as I have been doing to date. Before I can finish that job I need a switch.
Then I set about installing the VHF Radio, didn’t get too far as I need an antenna joint. So then it was onto the cabin light, this I fixed but need a cable joint before I can box it up. I then measured up to fit the new solar panel, I have the spot marked out and have drilled a pilot hole for the cables, but of course I now need 5 metres of cable to complete the job. So I now have a heap of electrical jobs half-finished waiting on little bits to connect and join. Of to the electrical supply tomorrow morning.
Getting fed up with electrical work and the brain power it takes, I spliced up a new halyard for the staysail. We now have renewed halyards all round. Truce is looking quite fancy with all this new rope dangling from the mast.
I am getting anxious to leave Canoe Cove now, the days are flying by and I am not moving forward towards my destination. Of all the items I need only the electrical bits, batteries and headsail furler repairs remain outstanding, these are the must have items.
Everything else can wait. Hopefully by the end of Monday I will be able to call USA Boarder Protection and give them 48 hours’ notice of arrival.