No sooner had I written the words ‘ I think the fun will start this evening’ in my log yesterday afternoon than the wind suddenly died. We had entered the ITCZ, the doldrums of old. I had to drop all sail as we were sitting stationary and rolling around with sails slapping back and forth
An hour later a southerly breeze set in and we sailed slowly through the night in beautiful calm conditions under a canopy of stars. In the early hours of the morning it became quite cold and I had to reach for a long-sleeved shirt to keep warm.
The day has been spent trying to keep the boat moving and heading in the right direction and avoid getting to the west of the track. Everything we try always sends us back to the west, making it more difficult to reach our destination. But, we are not getting too stressed about it, the right wind will come when its ready. Its an enjoyment to have calm weather and some nice flat sailing in sunshine after being on the wind under a cloud for so long.
Our mileage today noon to noon was not that flash and I expect tomorrows will be even shorter if the weather forecast is correct. Our track on the chart is starting to look like hieroglyphics. Jessica and I discussed trying to write our names on the plotter with the ships track. But concluded we would actually need to have some wind to achieve that feat. Voyage distance 766 miles.
Last night Jessica and I dined on salad, crackers and camembert cheese in the cockpit under the stars. An hour later I had stomach cramps, then Jessica got it. We were both violently sick. The Camembert was the culprit. It left us both feeling a bit under the weather for a while. No more camembert on board fortunately.
As expected, the escape from Hawaii is proving to be frustrating and tiring. After a good start we ran into areas of calm and light airs interspaced with rain squalls. All day we have been searching out wind, tacking, gybing, drifting becalmed, and motoring. The torrential rain from the squalls has cleaned the Honolulu dust and grime off the boat nicely but its all very exasperating.
Hopefully tomorrow we can break free from the island effect and head south with the easterly trades. Voyage distance 106 miles.
I am still anchored in Portage Bay off Frederick Sound. The weather last night was horrid with wind gusts and driving rain. The same has continued all day today. Another yacht came in after me yesterday, he is going south as well and can’t make progress either. No one in a small low powered boat is able to move south at the moment.
This afternoon I dragged anchor for a few meters. It caught again but I was getting too close to some crab pots so decided to pick up the anchor and move. The west side of the bay looked slightly better so I moved over there, it’s the same thing really but I got to run the engine and charge the batteries. I was also incredibly bored and needed to do something.
I am getting insignificant charge from the solar panel at the moment, I haven’t seen the sun since last Monday, five days ago. Usually the solar panel can keep up with my requirements for charging my electronic devices and lights.
With all this rain falling I decided to harvest some to top up my fresh water tanks. I don’t really
need fresh water but it was something to do. Truce has three scuppers on each side to drain water from the decks. These scuppers can be blocked with plugs and the collected water diverted into the fresh water tanks via the filling pipes on the side decks. The system is so simple and works wonderfully, my tanks were topped up in no time.
Another benefit of having scupper plugs arises when taking fuel. It’s quick and easy to block the scuppers to prevent any diesel release to the water in the unlikely event of a spill on deck. That simple precaution could save a lot of money in fines.
My guide book says that Portage Bay is a beautiful and protected anchorage. It’s not very protected from the south as the wind whistles through the estuary at the head of the bay called Goose Cove and then continues for three miles down the bay. All I can see is a bit of shoreline, low cloud and driving rain. I really look forward to what will be revealed when the weather clears up.
The forecast for late tonight is for thirty knot winds and rain. Tomorrows’ prediction is only slightly better so I may have another day in Portage Bay. Sailing teaches you patience.