I was awoken this morning by the patter of rain on the coach roof and the creaking of the mooring lines. Fortunately, it was time to get up and no precious sleep was lost.
The northerly wind was causing little waves to enter the harbour and set Truce jiggling alongside and gently rolling. There was a danger that the cap shrouds would touch the adjacent boat when both boats rolled towards each other. I shifted Truce a bit further inshore to reduce the risk, a bit of a palaver as I have five mooring lines out.
Once the boat was settled I headed ashore. Any thoughts of exploring the island had disappeared as the weather was threatening rain again and still windy. On my way into town I was given a lift by Dave, my new best mate in Nuku’alofa. Dave is a bone carver and part time tour guide, in fact he is enthusiastic to do anything for money it seems. Dave dropped me at an internet café where the kids go – fastest internet so far and only cost a dollar, unfortunately there is no wifi.
When I returned to Truce the waves were making her surge alongside – I put out another stern line, now we have six lines out. There is a trough approaching and I expect the winds will come around to the east as it passes through.
If the weather is good tomorrow I will take a trip and visit Cooks landing place. I am really not too interested in seeing the rest of the island – my mind is on departure and not sightseeing.
A four thirty start this morning to transit Wrangell Narrows. As I cast off from Petersburg it was wet, raining, overcast and misty. The morning has a nice feel to it, very tranquil and the smell of wood smoke from fires on the shore carried across the water. The rain, mist and cloud lasted all day. Petersburg is a noisy place, the fish processing works make a din and there are boats coming and going at all hours.
Shortly after setting off and going down the channel I noticed that there was very little cooling water coming out of Yanmars back end. The engine was getting hot and I needed to stop and find the problem. I quickly ducked out the channel, found a spot to anchor and shut down the engine. When I opened the seawater strainer and found some weed inside – but not enough to stop the cooling water flowing. Oh no I thought, I need to change the pump impeller, not a major job but it would take long enough for me to miss the tide. Time to put the kettle on, have a cup of tea and keep calm.
I then had another look and pushed my finger down the inlet pipe from the sea valve. It was blocked solid with rubbery weed. The impeller was OK! I was unable to hook the weed out from the top so removed the pipe from the seacock (having a wooden bung handy just in case). The weed still didn’t want to come out, I needed a wire coat hanger, a wonderful versatile tool. Well, no wire coat hangers on board so I improvised with a variety of kitchen utensils and removed the weed. Thirty-eight minutes later we were under way again and Mr. Yanmar running happy and cool.
Wrangell Narrows is a spectacular waterway. This morning the rain and low cloud reduced visibility so I could only see the banks either side. There is a road leading down the east side from Petersburg and good looking houses are dotted along the shoreline. I would love to do this transit on a clear sunny day, the scenery must be spectacular with the snow-capped mountains as a backdrop.
By nine I had popped out the southern end of Wrangell Narrows into Sumner Strait. I tried sailing but squalls and wind shifts made life difficult and I was actually going backwards at one stage. The wind eventually shifted to ahead as usual, only about ten knots so I motored. I had intended to anchor overnight and arrive in Wrangell on Wednesday. But on account of the miserable weather I decided to push on to Wrangell direct. Might as well be in the pub if it’s raining.
By four in the afternoon I was tied up in Wrangell and checking in with Boarder Protection. The harbourmaster advised me not to wash down the boat as there is a water shortage in town! Well the reservoirs are full but the water processing plant struggles to keep up with the demands of the fish plants.
I have just had a shower and am fit for human company again. Next on the agenda is the Marine Bar and a pizza. Status quo, still raining and no sun today. Total voyage distance 223.5 miles.
I am still anchored in Portage Bay off Frederick Sound. The weather last night was horrid with wind gusts and driving rain. The same has continued all day today. Another yacht came in after me yesterday, he is going south as well and can’t make progress either. No one in a small low powered boat is able to move south at the moment.
This afternoon I dragged anchor for a few meters. It caught again but I was getting too close to some crab pots so decided to pick up the anchor and move. The west side of the bay looked slightly better so I moved over there, it’s the same thing really but I got to run the engine and charge the batteries. I was also incredibly bored and needed to do something.
I am getting insignificant charge from the solar panel at the moment, I haven’t seen the sun since last Monday, five days ago. Usually the solar panel can keep up with my requirements for charging my electronic devices and lights.
With all this rain falling I decided to harvest some to top up my fresh water tanks. I don’t really
need fresh water but it was something to do. Truce has three scuppers on each side to drain water from the decks. These scuppers can be blocked with plugs and the collected water diverted into the fresh water tanks via the filling pipes on the side decks. The system is so simple and works wonderfully, my tanks were topped up in no time.
Another benefit of having scupper plugs arises when taking fuel. It’s quick and easy to block the scuppers to prevent any diesel release to the water in the unlikely event of a spill on deck. That simple precaution could save a lot of money in fines.
My guide book says that Portage Bay is a beautiful and protected anchorage. It’s not very protected from the south as the wind whistles through the estuary at the head of the bay called Goose Cove and then continues for three miles down the bay. All I can see is a bit of shoreline, low cloud and driving rain. I really look forward to what will be revealed when the weather clears up.
The forecast for late tonight is for thirty knot winds and rain. Tomorrows’ prediction is only slightly better so I may have another day in Portage Bay. Sailing teaches you patience.