Early Friday morning in Lake Cove was calm and tranquil. The anchorage is very scenic, surrounded by hills and higher mountains beyond. Lake Cove is supposed to be an all weather anchorage but I suspect there could be some fierce winds generated from the surrounding high ground that would not be too pleasant.
This morning we set out in the dinghy to visit Cora Lynn Falls and Lake Cadman beyond. When we arrived at the landing place by the falls we could not see a suitable safe spot to get ashore, it was possible to get ashore but not too easy. Not wanting to risk a landing we retreated, our morning walk in the bush abandoned.
As we returned to Truce a strong breeze sprang up, the weather changes quickly here. We picked up the anchor and set sail. We sailed fast out of Lake Cove and down Edwardson Sound with a following wind in calm waters with just the yankee set. Yesterday afternoon we had been blown up the sound and this morning we were being blown down.
Our next destination was North Port where there is an inner and outer anchorage. The outer anchorage is less sheltered, the inner anchorage good for all weathers. We opted for the inner anchorage and moored stern to a small island in the centre of the cove.
In North Port we saw two other boats, local boats moving around with hunting parties on board. The deer carcasses hanging overboard indicating that hunting has been rewarding. Ngozi asked the skipper of one of the boats if she could send a message, he helpfully obliged and she sent a message on his Inreach. As we have no satellite phone on board we are without any outside communications while in Fiordland where there is no cell coverage.
The fishing at the anchorage is very good and is providing us with some excellent Blue Cod. They are hungry and not fussy eaters. My stock of soft bait lures has dwindled to almost nothing as the fish attack the soft bait with gusto and rip it to shreds. My go to lure is now an empty hook with a bright piece of plastic at the head. The Blue Cod seem to like it and surprisingly keep getting themselves hooked up.
The weather forecast for the next few days is not looking good for us moving up the coast to our next stop in Dusky Sound. Today we have a N’ly gale warning and N’ly winds of 50 knots forecast for Tuesday. We will be sitting tight for a few days until it blows over. These N’ly winds on this part of the coast are caused by a large high pressure bubble over the rest of New Zealand. Meaning the rest of New Zealand will be experiencing fantastic summer conditions.