After a day’s stop in Hicks Bay, waiting on weather, we set off in the first morning light for Gisborne.  Hicks Bay was overcast and gloomy as we motored out in flat calm.  Shortly the sun rose over East Cape in spectacular fashion and we continued motoring along the coast in calm sunny conditions, the tide helping us along.

Hicks Bay dropping Astern. Photo Ngozi Penson
Hicks Bay dropping Astern. Photo Ngozi Penson

Soon we were passing East Cape between East Island and the coast.  The tide helping Mr. Yanmar along on glassy calm water.  Very lucky, this cape can be challenging when there is a bit of wind around.  As has happened previously as soon as we had passed East Cape a breeze sprang up and Truce was able to run downwind easily under the Yankee alone.

Rounding East Cape in Benign Conditions. Photo Ray Penson
Rounding East Cape in Benign Conditions. Photo Ray Penson

The dolphins came to play around the bow, wonderful creatures.  So many, they kept coming in waves for over an hour.  Such a privilege to be close to these magnificent and clever creatures.

Talking to Dolphins. Photo Ngozi Penson
Talking to Dolphins. Photo Ngozi Penson

We passed Waima Cove, where I had anchored last year, Past Tolaga Bay where I planned to anchor but didn’t like the exposed location and swell.  Past Cooks Cove where I would like to anchor but it appears too shallow.  Past Gable End Foreland, a notable landmark on this coast.  Finally entering Gisborne Harbour just before midnight and securing alongside the visitors berth for a good sleep.

Monday morning in Gisborne was calm and sunny.  Today was for rest and recuperation and tourist activities.  First, we had to top up the water and diesel and make a trip to the laundromat, once the chores were out of the way we headed into town to explore.  Walks by the sea, lunch, ice crème and other laid-back stuff.  In the evening we retired to the Tatapouri Sports Fishing Club for refreshments, happily returning to Truce for a good night’s sleep, safe and secure alongside.

On Tuesday, the 12th January we motored out from Gisborne Harbour and headed around Young Nicks Head.  Young Nick was the surgeons boy on Cooks ship Endeavour and is claimed to be the person first sighting New Zealand on that voyage in 1799.

Once past Young Nicks Head the breeze set in, sending us on our way towards Napier under full sail.  The sail down to Napier was fast despite the forecast being for fickle winds.  We sailed past Mahia Peninsular where we could see the Rocket Lab rocket ready for launch in a couple of days time.  A few miles from Napier I reduced sail to slow down to get a sunrise arrival.  At just after six on Wednesday morning we were securely tied up at the Napier Sailing Club visitor berth.

The plan is to spend a couple of days in Napier, the Art Deco City, before heading down to Akaroa when a good weather window opens.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: