Last night we anchored at Haano Island in the late afternoon.  I was thankful for a fast sail that enabled us to anchor before the sun went down.  Haano is a sheltered anchorage and we went quite close in to the reef to find ten meters of water to anchor in.  Not a place to anchor in the dark.

This morning we had planned to go ashore early for a swim and snorkel.  But the wind and weather were against us.  The wind had sprung up at four in the morning followed by rain.  The thought of launching the pig in the wind made us decide to high tail it down to Pangai and check in with customs.

The short sail down to Pangai was done in quick time with a strong easterly trade wind blowing.  We entered the harbour at Pangai and anchored inside.  We then launched the pig and rowed ashore to find the customs post.  We found the police station and asked there for the customs, only to be informed that customs didn’t work on a Saturday.  Well we had to clear in and clear out as waiting for Monday was not an option.  The policeman offered to go and collect the customs – so we waited.  Eventually the customs lady arrived but she didn’t have the key to the office.  Another wait and after an hour we had our inward and outward clearance complete and $120 lighter.

We then headed to the Mariner café for lunch and refreshment.  I wasn’t too relaxed as Truce was anchored in the confines of the harbour on a short anchor scope and the wind was picking up again.  Sure enough, when we got back to Truce she had moved and was too close to the harbour wall for comfort.  Quickly we made preparations to get underway.  On lifting the anchor, I found it was fouled by some heavy plastic sacks, no wonder it was dragging.

Mariner's Cafe and Bar Nuku'Alofa
Mariner’s Cafe and Bar Pangai, Tonga. Photo Ray Penson

Our next destination was Uoleva Island – we had heard many good reports about the place.  We sailed with just the Jib at six knots and at three in the afternoon had anchored off the Seachange Eco Resort, in six meters of water with a sandy bottom.  We were soon ashore to check it out and walk on the beautiful beach.  Dinner at the resort was Curry Chicken but we had missed the two o’clock deadline for ordering dinner – no the cook would not accommodate us.

A short walk up the beach brought us to another resort – very laid back, local backpackers type.  There the lady said she would cook dinner for us – fish was on the menu.  The dinner turned out to be very good, the fish being top drawer.  All for a reasonable price.

Its been an action-packed day.  Jessica and I are both tired and looking forward to a good night’s sleep before heading further south tomorrow.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: