Today has seen a great improvement in the weather, still windy but sunny as well. I spent the morning rigging up a gybe preventer. It looks the business but won’t know how it will work until I get offshore.
In the afternoon the wind eased off a bit and I launched Piglet for a run ashore. Neah Bay is an Indian township, home to the Makah Tribe. These guys can still go whaling in open boats – but don’t think they do anymore. The main street has a gas station, general store and a few community buildings, nothing too extensive. The locals are friendly and I had a chat with a few of the guys hanging around. It’s a dry place (no alcohol) so no chance of sampling the local brew.
I didn’t want to wander too far as the wind was still gusting and I don’t like leaving Truce alone in those conditions. Although by now the anchor must be well dug in. The ride back from shore was pretty wet, Piglet is not a boat for choppy conditions.
Once back on board I checked the weather forecast. The weather is moderating and is looking good for a departure tomorrow morning. All being well I will catch the ebb tide in the morning and depart from Neah Bay heading towards some warmer weather.
Leave a Reply