Today Ngozi and I had some quality time together in Hoonah. Once the usual chores of laundry, provisioning and maintenance were out of the way we went for a walk around Hoonah. Its not a big place so its not a difficult mission but the locals are friendly and always have time for a chat so it’s a pleasant experience.
In the evening we visited Icy Strait Brewing again to sample the latest brew. It’s pretty strong stuff and after three glasses each we felt no pain.
Ngozi is flying out to New Zealand tomorrow morning, it has been fantastic to have company again but the time has gone too quickly. I will be sorry to see her go. We have been very lucky with the weather, beautiful calm warm days and balmy nights. We have experienced the Glaciers calving, whales feeding and a whole range of wildlife – apart from bears. It’s been a unique experience for both of us.
Tomorrow I will start the next voyage south from Hoonah to Victoria BC. I haven’t decided which route south to take yet, maybe the weather will decide for me in the morning. Total Voyage distance 1,632.8 miles.
Today started foggy and calm. The idea of crossing Icy Strait didn’t inspire us and we felt lazy. It seemed a great option to stay in Bartlett Cove. Shore leave and a bit of exploring around the area was the best option. It has been an effort to get to Glacier Bay, another day here to soak up the atmosphere is deserved. Following a leisurely breakfast, we rode the pig into the dock and went for a stroll in the woods.
After Ngozi being initially cautious about coming across bears in the woods we set off. (I have been looking for bears everywhere and haven’t seen one so the chances of a bear encounter seem low). Nothing really exciting about our walk in the woods, saw a couple of ponds, heaps of trees and read all the park signs. Not much bird life around and just saw a couple of small squirrels looking for their nuts.
There are quite a few people here going into Glacier Bay in Kayaks. They get dropped off from a mother ship and are picked up days later at a pre-arranged location. All their food and accommodation is carried in the Kayaks, they camp out each night. Motorised vessels are banned from many areas of Glacier Bay so the guys in Kayaks have it to themselves. It must be a fantastic way to see the wilderness and get close with the wildlife of Glacier Bay, a bit too basic for my tastes.
We took advantage of the free WiFi at the ranger station to check up on emails. We received news about terrorism in France and other stuff that we have been isolated from for the past week. We posted a couple of logs to the blog as well. If you are following the blog please understand, we can only post when we have WiFi so there may be gaps when we are out of wifi range. Perhaps one day I will get smart and figure out how to post via Iridium Go.
Toady has been a nice relaxing experience and the rain held off for another day. We have been very fortunate with the weather. Tomorrow we must depart Glacier Bay as our permit expires, next stop Hoonah.
I awoke this morning to thick fog, a sign summer is here. The fog cleared in the early morning and the sun came out. But then a strong westerly wind set in and finally rain again. A real mixed up day but plenty of variety.
In the morning I motored over to Inian Island which is in the middle of Cross Strait. There is a pass north and south of Inian Island and the water flow through the passes is tremendous. Huge upwelling’s and swirls of water, even at slack water. Another funny thing is that the Pacific Swell comes right into the strait and seems to bend around the islands but still keep its size and shape. The locals tell me that in bad weather or wind against tide, the passes can be very difficult and dangerous. I believe it and will try and take advantage of the current tomorrow to get a lift to the east.
The anchorage at Inian Island is supposed to be sheltered but this evening is a little draughty. I hope the wind dies down later as the singing in the rigging and surging at anchor is not very relaxing.
My entry permit into Glacier bay is for the 9th July, I can’t go in before then so am hanging around this Icy Strait area waiting for my wife to arrive in Hoonah. Then we will cross Icy Strait into Glacier Bay.
Tomorrow I will have a look at sailing to Port Frederick, which is a sound south of Hoonah. There should be some interesting wildlife in there if the tales of my fisherman friends are true. Total voyage distance 1,383.1 miles.